Continued from part three...
At the end of the previous update I was busy waiting for a 5-8mm shaft coupling to arrive. However I realised that with a big of creativity, I could always steal one from elsewhere on the machine.
Using some heatshrink tubing, cable ties, superglue, and flexible tubing from an old inkjet printer, I bodged together this flexible coupling:
That left me with a spare aluminum shaft coupling, just what I needed to finish my new spindle.
The spindle I made out of MDF and consists of:ER11 collet nut2 608zz ball bearings2 more 608zz ball bearingsA 8mm to 5mm shaft couplingA big DC motor with 5mm shaft, from an old cordless drill
It went together reasonably easily with a good helping of 5 minute epoxy glue.
The hardest bit was aligning the motor and the shaft. If it's not perfect, it rubs and the power transfer suffers.
Meanwhile, a pair of 2 flute, 4mm HSS end mills had arrived i...